Sexless in the City


Sometimes reading romance novels doesn’t quite prepare you for a love life...

For this 30-year-old urbanite, love is always a misadventure: The Harvard Lickwit, Hippie the Groper, the 5% Man, and the Ad Weasel. These and many other men wander in and out of her life — but never her bed.

Monday, February 28, 2005

Anna tempted by an apple-tech

Gracious! Apparently my little office flirty-flirty (if it can even be called that) has readers worried. Reader David opines “you may be flirting with danger ... but in this case ... danger looks like fun!”

Danger? Hm. Well, yes, probably true. I mean I could :
  • accidentally scald myself with hot coffee.
  • have my hair get stuck in flirt mode such that I can’t switch it back (always a problem when seeking to avoid unwanted attention from skeevy subway men).
  • get charged with sexual harassment ... naw, I think that’s unlikely. Besides, he - that is to say, Bearded One - was the one who asked if I’d be making an appearance at the booze-a-thon pre-office mixer Friday.
I did not make such inquiries of his social calendar, oh no. But I did show up at said mixer, and hang around a good 90 minutes ... which he did not do. For my trouble I got two drinks for free and won a swank George Thoroughgood CD. Think I’ll be trading it in to the local CD shop for something more my style ...

One major score from the office mixer, however, was making the acquaintance of ... are you ready for this, readers? ... a Mac tech. (Anna fans self dramatically, briefly swoons against office chair, then recovers as faintly pink apple-shaped thought bubbles drift lazily upward) I mean - hello! - can you say, Anna’s fantasy man?!! Finally a local techie I make nice with! He’s even blond.

Today’s a busy day for him, it turns out, but word of my iBook woes - combined with the endearing quality of my glasses (he has them too) - may yet succeed in the key securement of a little of his time today. Which is important, since my temp assignment ends today.

What can I say? Sometimes the ability to simultaneously simper, geek out with computer-love, and project total helplessness really pays off. :D And to think I thought it would take the Silicon Valley to get help for my poor baby!

Wow ... to think Microsoft Word might actually operate without crashing!!!! That I might cease having to cope with Mozilla errors!!!

Please let him be a Jesus freak, please let him be a Jesus freak ... but wait. I don’t need to date a Mac tech ... just bat my eyes long enough to get remedial repairs done. Too bad I forgot the mascara again today ... but I’m sure my over-the-top Mac love will suffice. I mean, I may not have gotten the barbed-wire apple tat the techie recently did, but I had one word for him at news of this body modification: “Respect.” And luckily I’m wearing my hair in pigtails today. Always a strong look.